Sunday, January 4, 2009

what a difference a day makes or to stop a thief

Today I am feeling very positive. I worked all day without any chest pain, shortness of breath is remaining an issue, though. I don't understand, 2 weeks ago I had no sob and now, even a short walk raises my bp and heart rate to discomfort levels. But now, let me describe my exciting evening. There was nothing on tv as usual and I had nothing to read except the paper. I watched some DC I had tivo'd from last week and then decided to take the dog out and go to bed early. Usually, at night and since I have been having sob issues, I drive down to the dog park. Tonight I decided to walk up half a block and take the dog near the dumpster. We walking nice, minding our business but not doing any when a kid on a trike sails down my street hauling another trike! Adult 3 wheel bike theft is huge down here. It's not so much dangerous as very annoying. New trikes run about $400 and up. Really really old beat up ones are 75. I go after him and holler "hey" but he never stopped. I hightailed it back to my house and saw my neighbor out. "Bob- did you see that?" I yelled. Bob was on it, he'd already called 911. Bob is in his 70's has one leg and is a very ill man just home from the hospital, but he was on the job. I got in my car and decided to follow and see where he went. I live off a service rd that is one way so naturally he turned the direction I couldn't drive. But I drove around the long way and spotted him. I put down the window and confronted him. He had some sorry sack of shit story, his friend gave it to him. I said "Oh no - it's stolen. The cops know and they're on their way." He got off undid it and took off on the other trike. That's probably stolen too but half a loaf is better than none and the trike I saved is a Schwinn. I don't have a cell phone it was now 10:30 pm and I'm on a service rd with nothing open, not even the crack motel. So I parked my car by a closed pizza place and rode the trike home. Then I had to walk back. That was a challenge. It took me between 15-20 minutes to walk back appx 1 mile and I stopped so many times to catch my breath and let my heart rate slow a little. But, I made it. I stopped in the dog park where Trixie immediately did her business. And I can go to sleep knowing someone in my mobile home community is going to be very happy when they find their stolen bike was recovered. Yay for the good guys!

No comments: